Tuesday 15 May 2007

Forever Running

The sun was rising, bathing the fresh winter’s day in lazy twilight. Mr Spencer was being poked with a stick.

“Get off him,” came a voice from behind him. Mr Spencer sat up, seeing the kids run away, and looked in the direction of his defender. A heavily-built fellow with a gentle expression. He sat down on the park bench, next to Mr Spencer.

“Fancy a lift?” he asked.

“No thanks,” said Mr Spencer. “I’m off running in a bit.”

His guest gave him a look. Seemed a bit embarassed, but eventually he spoke.

“Hope you don’t mind me asking,” he said.

Mr Spencer smiled encouragingly.

“It’s just … Well, I never saw a homeless bloke in a suit before.” He said it as gently as he could. He seemed very afraid of causing offense.

Mr Spencer smiled. “I’m not homeless,” he said. He thought for a bit. “Actually, I suppose I am. But I’ve got something better than a home. I’ve got my run.”

“You run a lot, then?”

“Six years, next month.”

“Wow.”

They sat in silence for some time. Eventually, the man spoke again.

“My name’s Geoff.”

“Hi, Geoff. I’m Mr Spencer.”

“Got a first name?”

“Yes.”

“Right.”

Geoff twiddled his thumbs awkwardly.

“I’ve been doing a lot of travelling myself,” he said.

“Really?” asked Mr Spencer, interested.

“Nothing like what you’ve done, mind. More of a driver than a runner, as you can see.” He tapped his stomach. “I’m searching for someone.”

“Oh,” said Mr Spencer sadly. “Someone’s gone missing?”

“No, no,” said Geoff. “I haven’t met her yet. Not properly, I mean. Saw her in a dream.”

“A woman,” said Mr Spencer, smiling. “I like that.”

“You running for a woman?” asked Geoff.

“In a manner of speaking.”

For a moment, they sat next to one another, a mutual respect for one another’s quest. Geoff grinned at Mr Spencer’s enigmatic manner, Mr Spencer smiled at Geoff’s determination, and above them, far overhead, a spaceship flew past.

They looked upwards.

“Aliens,” said Mr Spencer.

“You learn something new every day.”

“The world’ll go mad over this,” said Mr Spencer.

“But not you?” asked Geoff.

“No, no,” said Mr Spencer. “I’ve got to run.”

“I’ve got to go too,” said Geoff. “I thought I’d try out the Brecon Beacons today.”

“Best of luck to you,” said Mr Spencer.

And they parted ways.

Until ...

“Actually,” called Mr Spencer. “I’ve never been to the Beacons.”

“Neither have I, before,” said Geoff.

“I think I’ll take you up on the offer of a lift,” said Mr Spencer. “I’ll run a bit extra tonight.”

“Alright, then,” said Geoff. “And I might join you in running for a bit when we get there. Could do with the exercise.”

And so, side by side, the two men walked to the car.

1 comment:

Jester said...

It was great to see two very individual stories being entwined in this way. I like Geoff- I would like to see more about him and his quest for the Orange Lady.