Tuesday 22 May 2007

Early Poetic Efforts (with some prose)

*[ Before I start uploading my story, I thought I might as well upload a backlog of writing from when I was a young ‘un. I can’t find my prose work though- which is frustrating. I would particularly like to find my prose work on a novel me and Quoth the Raven wrote when we were teenagers. I imagine it is full of angst. However, for now, here is everything I found scribbled in a pad which no doubt was about to be lost to recycling. Mostly poetry, often unfinished, it gives a sense of the way I think, if not necessarily of the way I write prose. This may not be a good thing. ]*

Study: Beach

*[ Practice describing a beach: this is entirely descriptive practice- no real story. Its helpful for me to look back on if I want to think about the experience of being on a beach, but not a great read. ]*

With every footfall, multitudes of little pebbles cascade down the slope. The harsh crunch and rattle of the stones hitting and sliding over each other seems at first to be the only sound on the empty beach. Then slowly, the gentle sound of the folding water filters through; sometimes breaking with a sudden and noisy rush, other times with liquid rippling that barely moves the surface. The sea becomes a constant presence that draws the listener towards it.

The cool touch of the salty wind is refreshingly clean; it plays about the face and lifts the hair before spiralling away and up to lift an airborne gull. With seeming ease the fierce-eyed bird floats above; but then with a burst of speed and energy disappears from sight, leaving only its harsh cry as evidence of its continued presence.

Study: Botulism

*[ Poem to consider the effect of botulism on Cardiff gulls. A poor effort really, but significantly unusual compared to the style of poetry I later adopted to be worth a mention. ]*

The carefree flight
Of the lone white gull,
Who couldn’t know,
Nor care,
For his impending plight.


Across the murky sea
In a smoke stained land,
The dead mount
And rot
To draw the hungry.

But now his muscles freeze,
He starts to panic
The dead meant nothing,
Not then
Nor this insidious disease.

The laboured flight,
Of the infected gull,
Ends Abruptly.
For him,
The poison won the fight.

Study: Depression

*[ Flatholm is a depressing place. In my final written piece I had to write about my impression of the island. This was it. It is also worth mentioning that we were supposed to be writing descriptive pieces, hence the heavy use of adjectival phrases. It stops abruptly because it’s unfinished. I think it was going to end with her suicide. What a cheerful piece. ]*

“Why am I here?” she murmured to herself, the wind snatching at her words and scattering them to the stone-grey sea. She wondered at the philosophy of her question and smiled a small, humourless smile. As she shifted her feet slightly, loose, dry soil crumbled away from the imposing cliff. The angular rock jutted out to sea, its sharp surface occasionally softened by clinging moss that added a pale, sickly yellow tinge to the dirty grey.

The woman turned sharply from the sea; salty tears cascading down her pallid skin and mingling with the briny air. The wind tugged at her hair, twisting it around her face. She made no sound as she stood staring with unseeing eyes towards the barren island, whilst the rushing waves and screaming gulls encircled her in a veil of noise.

She wanted to scream too.

To release the burning poison in her heart before it began to taint her.

She ran, her legs tearing against thorny skeletons of dead thistles and scraping against the acid barbs of stinging nettles. She wanted to get away, but always the mocking call of the sea was in her ears, drawing her back, recalling her memory. She stumbled across the pock-marked land, blinded by her consuming pain, overcome by her confusion. She slipped, falling on the spiny grass, and lay still. She remained motionless for a long time.

She opened her eyes and saw she had fallen by the crumbling ruins of wartime fortifications. The echo of war, the pain of the past, drew the black clouds closer over her mind.

“No!” She hissed fiercely as she felt the tendrils wrapping around her mind, blazing with agonising clarity. The tickling, consuming, spiders of the brain, that provoked and scratched at her mind.

Then she remembered; she remembered her solace; she remembered her release.

Study: Gullibilty

*[ Written in a similar depressing vein as the above. Only a teenager could come up with this stuff. Basically about the damaging effects of lies etc. etc.]*

Your hardened heart speaks soft to me,
My soul accepts the lie;
Yet from within I tear myself,
And in this way, I die.


Study: Lyrical Iliad

*[Some light relief at last! When I thought it would be fun to put the Iliad into lyrics. It’s a bit rubbish- but I find it amusing to see how inventively I managed to twist words around to fit the rhyme scheme. ]*

Once there was a rosy dawn
That ever sought the night.
She followed on his heels until
She fled from morning light.

One day, like this, Apollo’s sun
Was midway through the sky.
The gods were set about the feast
To sup with spirits high.

A ball, like this, of blazing gold,
Fell from the wraith-like hand,
By the spite of Eris made
To tear apart the land.

From her lips was torn a scream,
“For the prettiest one of all!”
None could bear to be a judge,
So for Paris they did call.

One goddess, the wife of Zeus,
Was Hera, proud to stand,
And bribe the witless Paris with,
Success in Eastern lands.

The next to come was tall and wise,
Her blade not bent to pity.
By her name she was Athene,
She pledged her own city.

The final one to take the stand,
The last to want the toy,
Saw through Paris as he was,
A vain and weak young boy.


Study: Megan the Jersey Cow.

*[ I have included this to finish up my early poetic efforts. This is technically a song about a cow called Megan and her journey through life. If you ask nicely, I’ll sing it to you. ]*

Megan, the Jersey Cow,
She wanders around in the field somehow.
Now she’s a Hamburger.

Study: Swim

*[ I wrote this poem when thinking about what it would be like to live the life of Jane Eyre. Don’t ask me why I thought the copper/ tin line was a good idea. What a strange value system I have. ]*

I threw myself in
At the deep end,
Just to see
If I could swim.

I fell to the
Darkness within,
Hating or
Fearing him

That would save me.
Deep, green dim,
I sank to the bottom
With him, alone in

Myself. I could not
Win, no words
As precious as
Copper or Tin.

I felt so thin,
My happiness
Within so slim,
The silent din

Of self-reproach.
Where was my sin
That life should
Pin such pain on
So simple an act


As to go
For a moments swim.


Study: Brain Spiders

*[ This was written about that horrible feeling of shame and embarrassment. Its unfinished because I got bored with it. ]*

Brain spiders of my soul
Consume my thoughts,
Swallowed whole
Wrapped in sickly
Night, coal-black
Smothering,

Choking for air,
Bound by spiny legs,
Welcome lair of
Crawling Nightmares.
Down, deep buried,
Alive, but still.


Study: Out to Dinner

*[ I wrote this when bored and wanting someone to talk to. I was going to add more, but I like the simplicity of it. ]*

James has just signed in
Again to MSN,
Yet he’s set to Away,
Like Alex is

Out to Dinner.

Study: Lydia’s Rhyme

*[ Lydia wrote me a poem, so I wrote her one back. It’s based on Edgar Allen Poe- and I lead into my two verses by quoting one of his. It comes from “The Raven” ]*

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.”

Then I heard a louder knock, as regular as a ticking clock,
The door burst wide, my fears confirmed, its Lydia Hyde!
Can I borrow a set of tights? Asked the bright and nimble sprite.
“No!” Quoth I, “I’ve none to spare, not even a single pair!”
Deflated and defeated, the bright-eyed girl retreated,
To be tightless evermore!

Feeling like I’d been a grump, or some miser with the hump,
I set out to make it up, no better way than a tea-filled cup!
White with sugar she’ll abide, not without, for Lydia Hyde!
Let’s go watch some late-night telly, there’s more choice than at a delhi,
Repeats galore on channel four- Housewives and Earl,
For Evermore!


*[ Well done for reading this far! I shall now finish by promising that I am getting on with writing my prose piece of fantasy fiction. The plot is almost complete and once that is set down to my satisfaction, there should be a lot of writing afoot. The plot is currently as long as my dissertation, which just goes to show that writing for fun goes much more quickly than writing for work. ]*

4 comments:

Quoth the Raven said...

Oh my word, that's a trip down Memory Lane! I remember those Flatholm pieces; as I recall, we pronounced the seagull one Most Depressing Ever, until that other girl wrote that poem about the Island of Death, whereupon we promptly revoked your title and gave it to her. Good times...

The Iliad is awesome! You should finish it. Starting at the beginning as well, that's cool; people always forget good ol' Eris, that crazy bitch. One thing, though - I thought Athene offered Paris wisdom, not Athens, but I could just know a different version. I loved Aphrodite's verse - accurate and understated.

I quite like Gullibility too, although I do agree - it's quite Teenage Angst. And you included Megan! Excellent! That was a great song.

I like the style of Jane Ayre, too, it's unusual and thus gives the poem a more distinctive flavour. Anyway, since this is poetry, I will now proceed to analyse your updated version of 'The Raven':

Well, the reference to clocks in conjuction with the door knocks is clearly alluding to Death, and the ceaseless march of time - the author realises that they're going to die eventually, and this fits in with the general theme of Poe's work. The word 'Fears' is used immediately afterwards, and the name 'Hyde' is obviously a reference to Jekyll and Hyde, and we all know how that turned out, ho hum.
'Deflated and defeated' alliterates, to emphasise the author's point that this Lydia character is a Ne'er-do-well, as evinced by the fact that she's now 'tightless evermore' - she isn't going and getting her own tights, and never will. What a cad.

Anyway...good work! Fun and punchy. You should do more like it.

Jom said...

I envy your bravery in posting early work. Of course, it helps that it's all excellent. I particularly loved the poem on Botulism. Inspired.

Jester said...

Thanks for the comments amigos. I will think about doing more Lyrical Iliad, its been so very many years since I last wrote poetry that it would be a fun challenge. I checked the detail on Athene and the standard version seems to be that she offered "wisdom and success in battle." I think I'll change that verse (which I was never very happy with anyway) so that it falls in line with this version. I also learnt that Hera would have won the contest if Paris had been more objective in his judgement. You learn something new every day eh?

I'll probably do some more fun poetry- I'm too old for angst and pain and such like. I find all that a bit tiresome these days. I think I'll write a poem about each Scribblepitter in the style of a different poet. That would be muchos fun.

Steffan said...

Loved this. A nice Chinese meal effect to such a variety of styles and ideas - several tasters, with each one leaving the reader (alright, me) wanting more.

I particularly liked Gullibility, Out to Dinner and my absolute favourite, Brain Spiders. So we can conclude that I like short, punchy, simple poems.

But the others were excellent too. I liked the concept poems, like Jane Eyre, Botulism and Depression.