Wednesday 4 April 2007

The Sun and the Moon

Peter crossed the room towards his fellow workers, filling a cup with water from the nearby cooler.

Angharad was reading a magazine.

"It's got an article on those superheroes," she said. "Theories of who they might be."

"Anyone interesting?" asked Dave.

"Celebrities mostly. Reality TV drop-outs from the area."

"Rubbish."

Peter peered over the pages, and saw that they'd included some photos. A blurry, long-distance shot of Sunset, and a close-up of Lunar Mist jumping from one building to another. He couldn't understand how Sunset managed to avoid the paparazzi so much better than Lunar Mist.

"I see they haven't mentioned the Hoodie," said Angharad.

"As if he counts!" scoffed Sarah. "Spelling a nickname with capitals is hardly grounds for official superhero status."

"Otherwise I'd have trademarked The Technician a long time ago," said Dave. "For the time being, I need to get my utility belt built first."

They all laughed.

"I doubt we'd know who they were," said Sarah. "I mean, there are about two hundred thousand people in this city. What are the odds that we'd know them?"

"They'd probably look tired all the time," said Angharad.

"Sarah DOES look tired all –" started Dave, before being hit on the arm.

"I don't think I know anyone who'd call themselves Lunar Mist either," said Angharad.

"Might be a double bluff," said Dave. "I use things like 'Brookside' as passwords, since no-one would associate those things with me."

"They must have jobs," said Sarah thoughtfully. "They must have a fair bit of cash to afford those costumes."

"We've never seen Sunset close up," said Angharad. "She might have a budget costume."

"You think Sunset's a girl?" asked Peter, piping in for the first time.

"With a name like 'Sunset'?" said Angharad. "It's not particularly masculine, is it?"

"It's ... androgynous, I'd have said," said Peter.

"Maybe you're right," said Angharad. "Suppose we'll never know."

She turned to the next page.

"Oh, have you seen this?" she said. "They're building a new Amazon warehouse in the city."

-10001-

Peter arrived at home, and locked the door. He had a quick shower, and changed into his pale green costume. Ensuring that his helmet was on safely, and that his boots were nice and comfortable, he opened a window, and jumped to the top of the block of flats opposite.

He hit the ground running, and didn't stop. The further from his own flat he could get, the better. He jumped deftly from rooftop to rooftop, hiding behind landmarks and trees as best he could.

It wasn't long until he could see the city centre. He jumped onto the rooftop of the Pavilion Theatre, and paused for a breath. He was fond of the theatre, because the border alongside provided plenty of cover to hide him from the public.

"Hello, there," said a voice from behind him.

Peter froze. Should he look behind him, or jump away? He decided that, since he was in-costume, he could always escape if need be. He turned around.

"You must be Lunar Mist."

Peter's eyes widened behind his visor. Standing opposite him was a figure in a rich firey costume – red boots becoming an orange unitard with yellow gloves, with a headpiece featuring a simple sun design. Peter examined the figure.

"You're female," he said.

"I suppose I am," said Sunset. "Didn't you know?"

"I've never seen you close up."

"Well, 'Sunset' is hardly the most masculine name, is it?"

"It's ... androgynous, I'd have said," said Peter.

"Anyway, nice to meet you, Lunar Mist," said Sunset, holding out her hand.

Peter shook it.

"How did you find me?" he asked.

"Waited for you," she said. "You've been spotted on this rooftop several times."

She sat down cross-legged, and invited Peter to do the same.

"To be honest, I thought you were female until I saw a close-up photo," she said.

"Why?" asked Peter, surprised.

"The name, again," said Sunset. "'Lunar Mist'? Quite girly."

"It's an anagr- Never mind."

"I assumed you'd named yourself after the car."

"I'm quite sure they named the car after me."

A silence.

"Alright," said Sunset, her voice less self-assured. "I'll be honest. I needed to talk to someone."

"Why so?"

"I'm a superhero. A bloody superhero. With a costume and powers and everything."

"Right."

"And I can't tell anyone. And I can't call anyone for help. I don't have any back-up. And then people like this Hoodie guy turn up and make the whole thing a joke."

"Not a fan, then?" asked Peter.

"I hate him," said Sunset. "Cocky little so-and-so. And I must say, I've always admired you."

"Me?" Peter was genuinely shocked. "Lunar Mist? The superhero that gets it wrong?"

"I don't think you've 'gotten it wrong'."

"Let's see. Fluffed up attacking a drugs ring, that was my first attempt at heroics. Failed to prosecute a petty thief because a superhero's eye-witness report was deemed untrustwothy. Lost my gloves in the river, saving a young girl, and later had to buy them back on-line. And recently, allowed high-quality photographs of myself to be published in a major magazine."

"A major magazine that thinks you're a celebrity," pointed out Sunset. "People love you, Lunar Mist. Can I call you just Mist?"

"If you like."

"People want to be like you. Film companies are going mental trying to find a loophole that means they don't need permission to make a film about you. You managed to start a superhero career in a world that knows far more than they used to."

"Not as well as you have, though," said Lunar Mist.

"I'm just better at hiding my mistakes," said Sunset. "You know, I modelled myself after you? It's why I avoided using a primary colour for the main part of my costume."

"Really?" Peter shook his head slowly. "That's so nerdy."

"Oh, shut up."

They sat in silence again for some moments.

"I'm going to come here again," said Sunset. "I'll try to call round the same time every evening. Nice to be able to talk, even for a moment, as though being a superhero is anything approaching normal."

"Cool," said Peter. He examined her costume as she crossed to the side of the building, ready to leave. "By the way, I like your costume."

"Thanks!" said Sunset. "It's a budget one!"

1 comment:

Jester said...

I like the dynamic between Lunar Mist and Sunset- I like the idea of independent superheroes that can meet up for a chat. It's also an intersting spin to have more realistic heroes- who still have to have jobs and where normal things can go wrong- like loosing your gloves.

By the by, what is Lunar Mist an anagram of?