Saturday 14 April 2007

ASBO-Boy - Bark: Part 2

“I come from Sandfields. My parents moved there when I was a kid, before they built the walls." Bark leaned back against the bed posts in the dark, they were both staring at the shapes the moon was making through the bars of the cell. “When they built the walls they said it was to stop the population growing and to protect the public. But that was bullshit. Everyone knew it. I remember it happening. After a while people just stopped talking. It was like we were all infected with something. Then the black markets sprung up between the different Wards. We got nice stuff in from Uplands and Sketty, some of us got work out in other Wards. I worked in Sketty for while as a paper boy. The black market seemed to bring everybody together, you know? We all got along better when we were stealing from rich people.”

Mike nodded and thought about the Uplands, how much safer they’d all felt being separated from the other parts of the city. His parents waxed lyrical about safer streets and cleaner living but it was hard to listen to Bark and not feel tainted. Living in the Uplands wasn’t a peach either – you couldn’t express an honest opinion for one thing without being silenced – but he wasn’t going to tell Bark that.

“I never left the Ward much, except on holidays. My parents thought it was the best thing that had ever happened. Everyone started to get to know everyone else. I remember waking up at three in the afternoon after a night out tagging. I felt like scum – I felt like everything my parents had ever hated. But it felt good.” Mike scratched his skin-suit guiltily. “I could see Sandfields from my window. The smoke. When the wind blew in from the sea you could smell it too.”

“What did you tag?”

“Political stuff. Some art, mostly stuff aimed at the local community and the government. I turned some slogans around – remember ‘Get On Your Bike?’ – I did one of some people on bikes crashing into one of the walls. They didn’t get it though – they were never going to listen.”

“I remember the day I figured out I was an Other – I was getting beaten up by some lads from Brynmill. After a while the pain went away and they got tired. I walked home and felt good, despite the kick-in – I only noticed when my brother saw me. The stealing became easier after that.”

“Did you ever steal from Uplands?”

“Yeah,” Bark replied. There was a brief silence before they both started to laugh. “But like I say – it was mostly food. They used to call me Robin the Hoody.”

“Really?”

“No – I made that up.” They laughed again.

Mike shook his head, chuckling. “At least in here we can talk.”

“When I first got in I counted the days. But now, I don’t care. Maybe it’s the gas, or the food or these stupid suits. But at least in here I don’t have to steal.”

“How long have you got?”

“I’ll be out in six months. I’ve been good, kept my head down, my mouth shut.” Bark shook his head, “Can’t say I’m looking forward to it. It’s impossible for someone like me to get a job. The ASBO alone is proof that I’m scum.”

“You might be able to find work locally.” Mike muttered without much conviction.

“Yeah, right. Like I want to stay in Swansea. I’m applying for transfer as soon as possible.”

“It’s no better anywhere else.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

Mike thought about his parents and their family. He had aunts and uncles living all over the city, some they never saw - not that his parents wanted to see them, it was as if they didn’t exist. The ASBO, once a badge of honour to some was now a curse. All ASBOs were registered online; they said it wasn’t a criminal record, but in a way it was worse. Jobs were harder to get, applications took longer and people automatically assumed you were scum.

“Do you think they’ll let us out?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well – how many Others have you actually met? Where do they all go.?There must be a hundred of us in here alone.” Mike said.

“How could they keep us? They have to let us out. It's the law.” Bark replied. Mike wasn’t so sure.

“The only Others I’ve come across are Hounds – and they are real scum.”

“Yeah.” Bark replied.

Mike thought back to how he was caught.

“They say that joining the Hounds is the only way to get your ASBO revoked.” Bark said quietly.

“Yeah, but still.” Mike replied, trying to sound vehement but thinking about his parents, his family and how easier things would be if…

No. You can’t. Don’t even think about it.



NB - For those who are interested, Bark is a direct sequel to Suspected Other. Siren and Helix are part of the same story but are only thematically linked with Suspected Other and Bark. They all have dates on them, or references to the date within the story, so it is possible to read them out of order, or in chronological order if you want. Comments/criticism is always appreciated.

2 comments:

Steffan said...

I quite like this. The premise of Suspected Other was interesting, but Helix, Siren and Bark have really gone a long way to making this fun as well.

Interesting that ideas have already been set up, and now they're being explained very simply and clearly - the Hounds, the separation of towns, political tagging - I quite like being spoon-fed these details, so despite being just a long conversation, I feel that Bark was the most enjoyable installment yet.

Regarding your note, I've been reading them in the order you posted them (not sure if that means the dates are chronological), and that's quite nice. Mike has a nicer feel to him in this story, and I think it's because he was given a break while you wrote the other two parts.

Jester said...

Bark is now officially my favourite character- what a lovely chappie. The friendship growing between the characters is very interesting- particularly as they've come from such different backgrounds and yet they've connected instantly.

I also like the way that both of them are only now beginning to question aspects of the system they've never thought about much before. It seems a natural way of exposing the society in which they live and the way that its inhabitants cope within it.

I think Mike has grown in personality since the opening in Suspected Other- as prison is likely to do to a person. I think this makes him a more intersting and sympathetic person to follow.