Tuesday 3 April 2007

The Hitchhiker and the Lady in Orange

Finally, a car pulled over next to Kev. Kev gratefully climbed into the passenger seat, placing his heavy back-pack on the back seat. He folded his sign – a big piece of cardboard reading "Salisbury".

"Thanks, mate," he said gratefully.

"No problem," said the driver amicably, a chubby man in his thirties, with thinning blonde hair and narrow glasses. "I'm Geoff, by the way."

"Kev."

Geoff put the car into gear, and took off again. Back on the road.

"Used to hitch-hike a bit myself," said Geoff. "Back in my student days."

"I'm quite new to the whole thing," admitted Kev. "My girlfriend got me into it – we went camping in Europe last year."

"Yeah? That's nice," said Geoff. "Different attitudes on the continent, I find."

"True," said Kev. "Anyway, I've got the bug now. I'm hoping to make it all the way to Land's End."

"Oh, excellent," said Geoff. He grinned broadly. "An adventurer! I like you already."

"Is that why you did it?" asked Kev. "In your student days, I mean."

"Oh, yeah," said Geoff warmly. "Mind you, didn't know what I was looking for. But that comes with time, doesn't it?"

"So they say," said Kev. "Course, I reckon I've found what I was looking for. Couple of years ago, when I met my girlfriend."

"That's lovely."

"So now we have combined adventures. A year off before settling down in the world of mortgages and wedding plans."

"A fine way of thinking," said Geoff. "Wish I'd done more in my youth, truth be told. Think it's affected me now."

"What do you mean?" asked Kev.

"Well, after getting my degree, I found a job straight away. Quiet office thing. Worked hard, arrived early, stayed late, took my work home with me. Didn't have time to meet anyone – didn't know anyone I didn't work with. But that suited me at the time. Since then, got a few promotions under my belt. I'm a manager now. And I've run out of places to go. No more positions going, unless someone leaves."

"You're unhappy in your job?"

"Oh, no," said Geoff. "I love it. Plenty of responsibility, and it's less work for more money." He smiled. "But now, it's not about work any more. I know what I'm looking for."

"Aha," said Kev. "You've got a goal? An ambition."

"Something like that."

"I think that's half the battle, really. My dad lost his job in the seventies, and he became an empty shell for such a long time. Then, a few years ago, he discovered the internet. Made a fortune selling stuff on eBay."

"Good for him!" Geoff grinned.

"So, what was yours?"

Geoff inhaled deeply, full of satisfaction.

"It was four years ago. I found myself on a bus. This man, he turns to me, and he says, 'you know you're dreaming, don't you?'. Now, I never could control my dreams, but I realised I must be dreaming, 'cause nobody would say that if I wasn't. So I nodded my agreement, and he said, 'you can do anything here'. And I asked him what he meant. He told me to name something impossible, and I said, 'make a rollercoaster appear in that field'. He looks out the window, and out of nowhere, there's this rollercoaster. Actually, it was one of those waltzer things, but in my dream it was called a rollercoast. Anyway, he tells me to look in the front, and there's this woman wearing an orange dress. I can only see the back of her head. Suddenly, the bus stops, and she gets off. I run after her, the door of the bus almost closes on me. But I get out, and I can't see where she is, but somehow I know she's headed forwards. I run, and I've never run this fast, and I get to this plain wooden door. Can't remember if it was part of a building or something. I walk in, and there's this beautiful hall, full of candles and flowing drapes. And in the middle, she's there, the lady in orange. I walk up to her, but it's like she gets further away the closer I get. This music starts – something by Ella Fitzgerald. I think it was Dream a Little Dream. Ha, I just got that. Anyway, I take this woman's hand, and she dances with me. She seems darker close up – what's the PC word for 'half-caste'? Anyway, we dance, and even though she's got this flowing dress on, it doesn't get in the way. We dance for the duration of the song, but it feels like hours. And then I finally take a good look at her face."

It took Kev a moment to realise that Geoff wasn't going to continue.

"And?" he asked. "Who was she?"

"Dunno," said Geoff. "I'd never seen her before. Still, it gave me a purpose, didn't it?"

"Did it?"

"I'm going to find her, that lady," said Geoff.

There was a pause.

"Right," said Kev.

"Don't say it like that," said Geoff. "I know she's out there somewhere. It's just hard, you know? Meeting someone on a bus – she could be from anywhere."

"So ..." said Kev. "How are you trying to find her?"

"Driving on weekends," said Geoff. "Like now. I've never been to this neighbourhood before. I was actually headed for Chippenham, but seeing you on the road – well, that could've been a sign."

And, as he said this, Geoff slowed down, and parked the car.

"Here we are. Salisbury. Hope you get to Land's End."

"Thanks," said Kev, climbing out of the car. "Hope you find your lady in orange."

Geoff smiled, and started the engine.

"I will."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it! Very natural dialogue. :D Is there going to be more? Why is she the lady in green when she's in orange?!

Steffan said...

You're right, why IS she the Lady in Green? She isn't any more. I'm fond of green and orange as colours, and I forgot which I'd actually used. Silly me!

Anyway, I like Geoff too much to let him go forever, so I'm sure he'll turn up again. But for now, this is a bit of an experiment in style (specifically in naturalistic dialogue). Thanks!

Jester said...

I'd like to know what happens to Geoff- he's on such an unusual quest. It'll also be interesting to see how this crosses over into the rest of the characters from the world.