Sunday 10 May 2009

Regency Graphic Novel - Sample - Pages 1 & 2



Here are the first two pages of the Regency Graphic Novel Blossom and I are writing/composing etc. The idea is: a sprawling, massive story with a buggerload of characters seen over the eleven years of the British Regency. This particular sequence takes place roughly half way through the entire thing, but it's the first point where these characters come into focus (although they'll all have been seen/mentioned elsewhere by now).

None of this is by any means final - I'm still not certain I like the watercolour and I need to do a hell of a lot more drawing to get the standard up to scratch, but this is an extremely long term project. The dialogue that exists now is super first draft, it's more there as a compositional detail at the moment - besides, the crummy little text boxes are difficult to adjust/tweak, so some of it may be a little unclear. Regardless, it's meant to be a bit jumbled.

What do people think?

4 comments:

Blossom said...

Love it! I'll call you to discuss it tomorrow! :-) VERY excited about all thid!!

Quoth the Raven said...

You're very excited about all thid? What an oddity you are.

I like it and am consumed with jealousy that you can use watercolours so well. I use them like a six-year-old. Good work on the watercolours.

Hmm. You say the dialogue is meant to be a bit jumbled, but I'd advise against that, to be honest. Jumbled dialogue in graphic novels very, very rarely works. Since you're tasking your eyes with absorbing both picture and dialogue at once, if it's too confusing most people will stop reading. Tread carefully there. Clarity is your friend with comics.

Nice, though. I like it.

Jester said...

I love the colour and it works really well on the computer screen. It comes up all vibrant and exciting. The overall production is very good, but I agree with Quoth that clarity should be your friend. I don't read many comics and get very easily confused.

The artwork is excellent as ever and I think the inking really works well. Good regency vibe going on. However, I'm not sure the matriarch aunt would say a word like naughty. But then again it did make me smile, so perhaps you should leave it in. It could be interesting to have a modern element weaved over the whole, especially in terms of humour.

Steffan said...

Stylish and lovely - the watercolour is great, and very evocative.

To add my tuppence on the clarity issue, jumbled text is fine if they're disconnected bits of dialogue, but every so often, one line responds to another - then, clarity is of the utmost importance to avoid frustration. For instance, here, there's no way that the line "what are you reading?" would be read before the answer, since it's below AND to the right of the response.

But as an exercise in layout and tone, it's magnificent.