Sunday 17 May 2009

Regency Graphic Novel Cover


I know I may be getting ahead of myself a bit, but here's a cover idea. It's more of an exercise in establishing tone, rather than anything else. I had a very strong impression in my mind of what I wanted it to look like, i.e. a silhouette shot of George IV during his time as Regent, embossed on a leathery surface, with splatters of ink and wax/blood.

Bizarrely, a chap called Sir Thomas Lawrence had already painted an iconic side shot of George's side profile and thus very little work needed to be done. If you want to see the original... The font is from DaFont and is called Byron. Whether or not it's based on Byron's handwriting remains to be seen. I thought it looked cool.

2 comments:

Jester said...

A very exciting cover- quite dark and edgy. It makes me think of letters and travelling.

Steffan said...

Conveys exactly what you described - well-executed indeed. And it does convey the tone of the pages so far, too.