Thursday 13 November 2008

Nano Modern Myth 2.5.1

Five cool-points to whomsoever first tells me which myth this was lifted from.

Matt entered the small, narrow hallway, with its dark tiles and orangey-red walls. There were piles of papers and miscellaneous stuff stacked everywhere. It looked typically studenty. There was even a bike propped against the wall.
“It’s through in the kitchen,” Euan said, following along behind him.
Gathered around the kitchen table Felix, Callum and Cerys were sitting and chatting. They paused when Euan and Matt came in.
“This is Matt Smith,” said Euan, with a gesture, “He’s come about the boiler.”
“Ooh, good,” said Cerys with a slight shiver, “It’s getting very cold in here!”
“We wouldn’t want that,” said Matt with a smile.
Cerys shook her head and smiled.
“We’ll go through into the sitting room,” said Callum, getting up, “It’ll give you some space to work.”
The three of them got up and shuffled round to the doorway. Matt stepped back to let them pass.
“So what’s up with this boiler then?” asked Matt, going to take a look at the device.
“I’m not sure. We don’t get hot water and none of the radiators work. It’s been like this since yesterday,” said Euan thoughtfully.
“Ok, well I’ll get on and have a look at it,” said Matt with a nod.
“Ok, I’ll be in the sitting room if you need me,” said Euan and wandered away.
He found Callum, Cerys and Felix lounging around the sitting room, all of them looking fairly pale and tired.
“How’re the hangovers?” Euan asked, trailing into the room and flopping down into an empty chair.
“Sore,” replied Callum, rubbing a hand over his eyes. “That’ll teach us for trying to ‘drink ourselves warm’ yesterday.”

***

“Can I get you a cup of tea?” Felix asked, gesturing at the kettle.
“That’d be grand, thanks,” Matt replied with a grin.
Felix started to prepare the tea-making equipment.
“You don’t live here, do you?” Matt asked, glancing over at Felix.
“No, just visiting,” Felix replied with a shrug. “As is Cerys.”
“That’d be the blond girl?” Matt asked curiously.
“That’s the one,” said Felix with a slightly insidious smile.
“Girlfriend is she?” Matt asked with forced nonchalance.
“No, no,” said Felix seriously, “She’s single at the moment. On the look-out though.”
Matt grunted and allowed himself a small smile.
“Here’s your tea,” said Felix, handing the steaming mug to Matt.
“Don’t suppose you have her number, do you?” Matt asked, blowing the heat off the top layer of his drink.

***

“Made a deal with Matt to get the boiler fixed before twelve o’clock,” said Felix with a grin.
“What kind of deal?” said Euan suspiciously.
“Said I’d let him have Cerys’s number if he got the job done in time,” said Felix, with a glimmer in his eyes.
“You did what?” said Cerys, sitting bolt upright. “I can’t believe you did that! I don’t want to go out with Matt! And you can’t just go giving my number away to any old person!”
“It’s not any old person,” said Felix with a shrug. “It’s Matt. The man who fixes the boiler.”
“Look, boy,” said Cerys, standing up and putting her hands on her hips. “You go back in there and sort this mess out right now, you hear? I’m not having any blind dates with any strange men, ok?”
“Can’t do that,” said Felix. “He might not want to fix the boiler if I tell him that.”
“Then find some other way to fix it!” said Cerys. “But I repeat, you are NOT to give my number to Matt the boiler man! Ok?”

***

“It’s nearly five to twelve now and he’s still not back!” Cerys muttered anxiously.
Suddenly they heard the sound of running footsteps down the corridor and the front door slam. Felix meandered into the room.
“What happened?” Cerys demanded.
“Was that Matt?” asked Euan. “Has he fixed our heating?”
“Calm down, people,” said Felix, holding up his hands. “Our problem is solved.”
“What did you do?” Callum asked in wonderment.
“I told Matt that I saw a man drive off in a white van just like his one, not twenty minutes ago,” replied Felix innocently. “He’s just gone to check.”
“His van?” said Euan, widening his eyes. “You’ve not gone and done something to his van, have you?”
“I’ve relocated it to a more convenient location,” he replied loftily.
“And how on Earth did you manage that?” said Cerys loudly.
“He doesn’t lock his van and hot-wiring a piece of junk like that is child’s play.” Felix shrugged and grinned.
“Gods!” exclaimed Euan, “We’re in for it now. Please tell me he’d fixed the boiler before he left?”
“Of course not,” said Felix, shaking his head. “I had to get him out of the house before he won the bet.”
Callum groaned.
“You idiot!” said Euan. “Now what are we going to do for heat?
“You should have just left well alone,” said Cerys, shaking her head.
“Some thanks, I get,” Felix replied. “I’m off anyway. Things are starting to heat up around here. And I’m not talking about the temperature!”
With that, he swanned out of the room and they heard the front door slam.
“I can’t believe he did that,” Callum muttered.
“At least he didn’t give my number away,” said Cerys. “I’ve had enough creeps with my number, thank you very much.”
They heard a knock at the front door.
“I’ll go,” said Euan with a sigh.
He opened the front door to reveal Matt standing there, very red in the face.
“Now I don’t know who it is has been playing silly-buggers with my van,” he spat at Euan. “But I’m taking my stuff and getting the hell out of here. You can fix your own damn boiler.”

2 comments:

Quoth the Raven said...

Ach, my norse myth isn't as good as my Greek or Welsh. Well, I'm guessing nonetheless that this is the famous story of Volstagg accidentally sitting on the heavenly Asgardian hypocaust pillars which, obviously, broke, so they called a fire giant in to fix it but he'd only do it if they sold him Freya's Unmentionables. Freya objected because she's a slag and didn't own Unmentionables. So Loki distracted the fire giant by stealing his fire giant mobile, which worked, and then they all sat around and drank tea and biscuits.

Which, you know, is the extended version of 'I don't know'. It's definitely familiar, though; I vaguely remember a story in which they lied to a giant(?) and told him he could have either Freya or... actually, wasn't this something to do with the fruit she grew that gave the gods immortality? Or something.

Maybe that earns me two cool points.

Jester said...

You get 10 cool points for coming up with a better myth. Well done.