Thursday 13 November 2008

Nano Modern Myth 2.4.3

“Yes?” the clear, business-like voice of the receptionist cut across his meandering thoughts.
“I’m here to visit Michael Caswell. Could you tell me which room he’s in please?” Euan asked politely, with a pleasant smile.
The receptionist met his eyes and did an almost imperceptible double-take. It was only really noticeable if you were looking for it, or if you were expecting it, which Euan had come to. She blinked and looked away, focusing on her computer screen and started to rapidly type in the search criteria.
“Mr Caswell is in Room 4D, in the ‘Gradilsgy Wing.’ Do you need directions?” she asked promptly, her fingers hovering over the keys.
“No thank you,” said Euan, shaking his head. “I know my way around.”
He walked away from the reception and headed down the familiar corridors. The white walls, the long glaring strip lights and the squeaky smell of disinfectant, triggering hosts of memories that probed at his mind. It was very quiet in here today. He was the only one walking down this corridor and the only distinct sound was that of his feet tapping out a beat on the floor. He reached the elevators and pressed the ‘Up’ button. One of the elevators opened immediately and Euan stepped inside, turning to press the button for the fourth floor.

***

“Hello Mike,” he said approaching the bed in the middle of the room, without looking directly at its occupant. “It’s me, Euan.”
Mike turned his head and looked at Euan.
“Yes,” he replied, slightly sarcastically. “I can still see you know.”
“Touché,” said Euan, with a slightly twisted smile. He looked Mike in the eye, who stared straight back, unflinchingly.
“Go on, then,” said Mike, turning his head slightly, “Take a seat.”
Euan dragged a chair up close to the bed and sat down.
“So, how are things?” Mike asked. “Seen much of the others yet?”
Euan shook his head.
“No. We’re all coming down this week though. You know, getting our stuff moved in ready for the next term,” replied Euan, slightly awkwardly.
Mike nodded his head fractionally.
“Who did you get to take my place in the end?” he enquired slightly icily.
“Well, Eurig said he’d come live in our house and Penny and Cerys have found someone new for their house,” said Euan, blushing slightly. “It’s just so we can afford the rent you know.”
“I know,” he replied slightly waspishly, then sighed. “I get these moods sometimes these days. I don’t seem to have any control over them.”
Euan nodded, not sure exactly what to say.
“So, who’s moving in with Penny and Cerys? Just three in their house, wasn’t it?” Mike asked, his tone lighter.
“Do you know Aoife?” said Euan, relaxing a little.
“Not very well,” Mike replied thoughtfully, “Long blonde hair? Quite tall? Very Irish?”
“That’s the one,” Euan said with a smile.
“I bet you Tom’s pleased,” said Mike with a quirky smile, “He’s had his eyes on her for ages.”
Euan laughed.
“Yeah, he’s trying to hide it though,” he said with a grin, “But Tom is terrible at disguising or pretending.”

***

“They tell me it’s my fourth cervical vertebrae,” Mike continued, looking up at the ceiling.
“What does that mean?” Euan asked, after a long pause had stretched out between them.
Mike looked back across at Euan.
“It means that if I’d damaged my third cervical vertebrae, I probably wouldn’t be able to breathe. Small mercies, eh?” he said in an ironically playful tone.
“Christ!” Euan exclaimed, exhaling sharply.
“I know,” Mike said, shaking his head.
There was another protracted silence between them.
“But is there any chance, you know, of recovery?” said Euan, cutting into the silence.
“Yes, some ridiculously small odds of some sort,” Mike replied. “I may be able to have more mobility in my head some day, possibly even feel my chest or shoulders.”
“I’m sorry,” said Euan, shifting awkwardly in his seat.
“Don’t be sorry, I find arms and legs to be vastly overrated items. I’m not dead am I? I could have been dead,” said Mike, once again in a mock-playful tone.
Euan smiled and the two of them fell once again into silence.
“Isn’t there some small part of you that would rather be?” said Euan in a rush, twisting his hands in his lap and looking away. There. He’d done it. He’d asked the question.
“No,” said Mike firmly, then paused and bit his bottom lip. He then continued, “Well, probably yes. But I’ve been given free entry into next summer’s exams, so I can pick up where I left off.”
“You’re still going to do your exams?” Euan exclaimed incredulously.
“Of course! Stressful little buggers that they are,” said Mike with a smile, “I could be the next Stephen Hawking, you never know. Plus, I thought I’d better jump in with that comparison before anyone else got there before me.”
Euan laughed.
“How’s Felix doing?” Mike asked suddenly, a slight frown creasing his forehead.
Euan gritted his teeth and narrowed his eyes.
“I don’t know. No-one’s talked to him since…” he broke off.
“Don’t,” said Mike firmly, trying to fix his gaze on Euan’s. “Don’t push him out and ignore him for my sake. It wasn’t his fault.”
“But if he hadn’t said what he did…” Euan began incredulously.
“I don’t care,” said Mike seriously. “Look, he played a stupid prank and there’s the end of it. If it’s going to be anyone’s fault, it’s going to be either mine, for not looking where I was going, or that van, for going through the red light.”
“I don’t know if the others will see it like that,” said Euan, shaking his head.
“Well, tell them that I don’t want them to blame him, ok?” said Mike firmly. “Tell them I’ll be very upset if I hear about them picking on him on my account.”
“I will do,” Euan replied with a shrug. “Some of them will come round. But I don’t think Tom will.”
“No, well, I don’t think Tom needs an excuse to hate Felix,” said Mike with a roll of his eyes.

***

“Are you still going to focus on that epic poem?” Mike asked.
“Yes. I think so. It’s really beautiful. I’ll have to read it to you sometime,” said Euan, a dreamy expression crossing his face.
“I’d like that,” said Mike with a smile. “You’ll have to come visit me in my new place.”
“New place?” said Euan curiously.
“Yes,” said Mike with a smile. “I’m moving into a care home for a while. It’s an unfortunate aspect of my condition that I need full-time care.”
Euan bowed his head and could not meet Mike’s eyes.
Mike smiled and then continued, “There’s a place called Wellsend about twenty miles from here. It’s near to my family and I’ll be looked after without having to be a burden on anyone I know.”
“I’ll definitely come visit you sometime,” said Euan, nodding his head assertively. “You’ll have to let me know the address.”
“Take the leaflet,” said Mike, his eyes pointing out a stack of paper on the bedside table. “It’s not like I can pick it up whenever I like.”
Euan stretched out a hand and picked up the leaflet. There was a picture of a long driveway, lined by silvery ash-trees, leading up to a smart old building. At the top of the leaflet was “Wellsend Community Care Home.”

1 comment:

Quoth the Raven said...

Ouch. Poor Mike. That sucks; although as a potentially insensitive side-note a cervical vertebra sounds like it relates to the cervix and therefore makes me giggle. Insensitively. It's a good thing, though: now if ever I have a male friend who damages a cervical vertebra I will have worked out my insensitive giggling. So I owe you one.

Nice additional characterising for Euan, though. He seems lovely.