Thursday 7 June 2007

Shift, Chapter 5

1st Iojenry 4367

Dear Diary,

Dyl is leaving today to go and live with mum and dad in Silvetera. I wish I was going instead, its so boring here in Dirdarn. It’ll be even more boring without Dyl’s jokes, especially if they don’t let me out of this court more often.

In her last letter Flo told me that there is a circus coming to Silvetera, all the way from Maoniong! That’s the other side of the world from here. I wish I could go visit there, but Aunt Vinthia says that it’s a very long sea journey and I get sea sick. I could Shift and swim there, but I’m not very good at water Shifts. I’d probably get stuck in the middle of the ocean and drown. Perhaps I could fly. I can do a good owl shift, but I don’t think I could fly that far without a break.

I suppose I’ll just have to stay here, as usual.

Excerpts from the Diary of Princess Elile of Silvetera, Age 9.

***

“Have you heard?” Srynia eagerly asked her sister as she rushed into the stables.

“Hmm?” Riarna replied dozily from where she was carefully brushing her horse’s tail.

“Apparently there’s a circus in Silvetera and its all the way from Maoniong!”

“Really? How interesting.” Riarna replied apathetically, earning herself a disapproving huff from her sister.

“Aren’t you at all excited? This means we’re going to get to see them when we go with Dad to the Silveteran Horse Market next month!” Seeing her sister shrug indifferently, Srynia pulled a face behind her back.

“I saw that,” Riarna remarked reprovingly.

“Well, then. Stop being so boring! Come on, lets walk into town- that way we might get a chance to meet up with Mina and that lot.”

“I don’t know,” Riarna replied unenthusiastically. “Mina’s really quite annoying. She doesn’t stop talking. And its not like she ever says anything remotely interesting.” Srynia giggled and gently pushed her sister on the shoulder.

“You’re so mean sometimes. But come on, lets do something. It’s not good being stuck in this place all day.” Riarna stopped brushing her horse and turned to smile at her sister.

“You’re right. How about we go out for a ride- like we always used to when we were little? A proper adventure with a picnic and a camp fire and everything?” Srynia paused contemplatively for a moment.

“Yeah, why not? We can make a proper day of it. Mum and Dad won’t mind- they’ll probably be glad to see us out riding like we used to before…” she drifted off briefly, “well, just before in general,” she finished quickly. Noticing her sister was upset, Riarna quickly intervened.

“It’ll be great! Come on, lets go to the kitchen and see what we can pillage from the larder.”

“Sure!” Srynia replied laughing, as the two girls dashed off towards the house.

***

Wer·serk [wâir-sûrk] noun, adjective.

1. Noun, a human that loses social, moral and emotional control when assuming a Shifted form. Usually characterised by extreme rage and violence.
“The
Werserk
slaughtered the livestock.”

2. Adjective, used to describe a Shifted human in an uncontrollable emotional state, usually characterised by irrational rage and frenzied violence.
“The shark was
werserk when he bit through the boat.”


***

“Do you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Srynia asked her sister, slightly alarmed by the fright in her voice.

“Howling. It’s like wolves howling. But why would they howl at this time of day?” Riarna replied nervously.

“I can’t hear it,” Srynia replied, glancing around the clearing cautiously.

“I’m going to try Shifting to see if I can hear it more clearly,” Riarna replied as she stood up and began to focus on the Shift. Stretching downwards and out, she gradually assumed the shape of a wolf. Sitting down she tilted her head and focused on the distant sound.

“What can you hear?” Srynia asked her sister, still looking nervously around herself.

Faint. Distant.

“So there is something?” Srynia added, looking directly at her sister, her voice edged with panic.

Coming Closer.

“We’d better head back. Pack up the stuff, get on the horses and go,” Srynia poured the rest of a can of water over the fire and started kicking up some loose soil to spread and stamp on the sizzling ashes.

No time. Go now.

“We can’t leave our stuff here- we’ve got to put this fire out properly.”

No time. They are coming. Go now.

“What about you? You are coming aren’t you? Quickly, you’ll have to Shift back and help me.” Riarna focused on her sister through her wolf’s eyes and tried to concentrate. Her instincts seemed to be rebelling against converting back into her defenceless human form. With a great effort of will, she gradually managed to stretch back out into her human shape.

“Come on! Let’s go!” Srynia called to her, leading the two skittish ponies into the clearing. Shaking her head to regain her focus, Riarna grabbed her reins and quickly jumped astride her jittery pony. The howling was clear enough to distinguish in her human form now and the undertones in the sound were unmistakable.

“Werserks,” Srynia stated. “Come on. We might still make it back if we hurry.”

The ponies broke into a fierce gallop without much need for encouragement and disappeared between the trees.

***

Dear Lile,

Arrived in Silvetera today. It really is as big as you told me! And so busy! I can see why you thought Dirdarn was so boring.

I got to meet my other cousins today. Flo says to send her love and to say that she’ll send you a souvenir from the Maoniong Circus. Your family is being really nice to me, but I do miss the beaches and rivers of Arrozale. There are so many people and buildings here. It feels so crowded.

Uncle Penry was very nice to me. He gave me a bow and said I could go practice on the target range whenever I liked. I’m really excited- I always wanted to learn archery but my Mum said I was too young.

I think everything is going to be fine here- although it would be better if you could come too. It’s strange being in a place where you don’t know anyone.

Write back soon and let me know how things are going. And don’t forget to try that locked passage in the back of the Armoured Gallery- I think it might be another secret way down to the cellars.

Dyl

Assorted Letters by King Dylanon of Arrozale.

***

“Alarm! Alarm! Raise the alarm! Weserks approaching from the north!” the crier ran through the town banging a drum and shouting at the top of his voice.

“Weserks?” Willan exclaimed with a groan. “That’s the last thing we need. Come on, Del, we’d better get back quick and bring in the horses.” They hurried back to their farm, accompanied by the sound of slamming doors and locking bolts. Sprinting back into the yard, Willan ran directly to the stable block and started to grab head collars. Deleha rushed into the house but stopped dead at the sight of a note pinned to the wall.

Gone picnic riding in the wood.
Back for dinner.
Love Sryn and Ri.


“Willan!” she shouted, ripping the letter down and dashing back into the yard.

“What is it?” he called in reply.

“The girls! They’re out riding in the woods! What’ll we do?” she replied in a panic, running over to her husband. Willan frowned and ran a hand through his hair.

“We’ll have to go after them,” he replied, “Never mind the horses. We’ll have to get out there and track them down.”

With that the pair both quickly Shifted into their strongest form, Deleha as a horse and Willan as a wolf. Willan quickly picked up his daughters’ trail and started loping off in that direction, Deleha trotting after him. They had just reached the border of their land when they both heard a sound that chilled them to their hearts.

Weserks. Close.

***

WESERK WOLVES ATTACK YSTIA

Weserks attacked the town of Ystia today and reawakened fears about the growing threat of Weserk Wolves in the region.

Weserk Syndrome is a relatively uncommon affliction, which seems to predominantly affect people who have a totemic predisposition. There is generally believed to be a strong link between Weserks and people who are born to parents whose Primary Shift is a strong carnivore. However, others dismiss this theory and believe the condition arises following certain virulent diseases, that may inhibit the genetic Shifting that occurs to allow the human to control the mental and emotional capacities of their body.

However, there is no answer as to why the most common Weserk Shift is the wolf, nor why the Weserk Wolves never attack each other. Weserks in other forms have never been seen to distinguish between other Weserks and unaffected humans or animals. There is some speculation that it is possible that the strong pack bond of the wolf overrides the insane rage of the Weserk, which in more antisocial species will turn against everything around it and eventually upon itself.

***

FURY. HUNGER. ITCH.

“Come on Ri, we’re nearly back now,” Srynia called over her shoulder to her sister, who was lagging behind.

“I can feel them. They’re so close now,” Riarna replied faintly, wobbling slightly on her galloping pony.

RAGE. THIRST. ITCH.

“We’re nearly there. I can see the border of our land. And look! There’s Mum and Dad! They’ll save us! Come on!” Srynia yelled in reply, digging her heels hard into her ponies side, darting forward with a sudden spurt of extra speed.

TRACK. SCENT. HUNT.

“Mum! Dad!” Srynia called out desperately, turning to see her sister lagging back even more.

Coming. Nearly there.

“Ri! Kick on! Just a little bit more!” Srynia shouted back at her sister.

COMING. NEARLY THERE.

Charging at full speed, Willan shot past his daughter’s galloping ponies and leapt straight into the path of the leading Weserk Wolf. Deleha turned and flanked her daughters, nipping their ponies to drive them on. Struggling with the Weserk, Willan was locked jaw-to-jaw, each tearing and snapping at the other. The Weserks stopped and circled around Willan, each one trying to leap in and snatch a bite. He looked desperately around himself and realised he chances of escape were now minimal unless he changed Shift. Thinking quickly he realised there was only one form that might work against them. Concentrating through the pain and blood, he Shifted and leapt onto the back of the lead Werserk, disguised in the form of a flea.

PAIN. HUNGER. ITCH.

***

5th Nuinch 4367

Dear Dyl,

Thanks for your letter. It cheered me up in a really dull day. I’m so jealous you’re learning archery! I wish I was doing something that fun. Today I learned how to add up the accounts book for a plot of entailed land. It was less than fun.

I tried the passage you suggested. It came to a dead end where the tunnel had collapsed. I think it may lead directly to outside the Castle! If I can dig my way through, we might have another secret exit for our list. Although I don’t know what use it’ll be without you. It’s not as much fun exploring on my own. I wish you had some brothers and sisters I could take with me. Or at least any other kids. Its so unbelievably dull with just grown-ups.

Keep in touch to let me know how things are going in Silvertera.

Love from,

Elile.

Letters of Princess Elile of Silvetera.

4 comments:

Jom said...

Superb. Loved the Werserk dictionary entry and the common element of the circus linking the two stories together. great use of letters.

Oh - if you still don't mind, I'll draw a map of the world for you with mountains and forests and all that jazz. You could even come up with some runes/script for me to put on it! Excitement.

Jester said...

Will do- I'll write up a fuller description of the world with those details I know about it so far- I haven't fixed all the locations yet- but the map could always be revised/ updated later when I get to those parts of the plot.

Quoth the Raven said...

Jom loves a good map he does.

Anyway, an excellent chapter! Good action sequence with an excellent build up of tension and excitement, I was getting quite nervous by the end. The concept of Werserks is inspired btw, fyi, y2k. I look forward to the rest immensely.

Steffan said...

Woo, action. Always tricky to write, and you pull it off well - a great atmosphere here.

This is the first time, though, where the letters seem to juxtapose the plot. I assume that was intentional, but it can disrupt what's otherwise very well-paced excitement.

And weserks are a great idea, though I fear for some of the characters if Shifting can have these sorts of side-effects.