Monday 4 June 2007

Shift Chapter 3

The 1st of Iojenry in the year of 4365

Dear Diary,

Today it is New Years Day and I am going to live with my Aunty Vinthia. I am sad to be leaving my mum and dad and my brothers and sisters but I am excited about seeing my cousin Dyl. He is younger than me and a boy but I think we will be friends. I will miss my friends here but dad says that I will make more friends in Arrozale. I like Silvetera. I wish I didn’t have to leave.

Excerpts from the diary of Princess Elile of Silvetera, Age 7.

***

“Srynia?” Deleha called up the stairs, “Are you ready yet?”

“Coming!” the girl called in reply, whilst rapidly grabbing her things together. Deleha sighed and turned to speak to her other daughter.

“Riarna, will you go out and help your father, while I wait here for your sister?”

“Yep, sure,” the girl replied, dashing out of the house, her brown hair whipping behind her.

The yard was bustling with activity, dozens of people were rushing around and several people were leading gleaming horses from the stables across the yard. Above her, a big banner read, “CALLANIAN NATIONAL HORSE TRIALS.” Amongst the chaos she spotted a face she recognised and ducking and dodging past the crowds, she dashed over.

“Kale!” she called waving her arms to get his attention. The man turned from where he was giving instructions to a small group of people and smiled at the girl rushing towards him.

“Whoah! Slow down there, what’s the rush?” he called back gently, his kind eyes twinkling in amusement. The girl continued to pummel straight up to him, then skidded to a halt, raising a cloud of dust and disapproving looks from nearby spectators.

“Have you seen my dad anywhere?” she asked, her breath catching slightly from the run.

“He was over by your family stables last I saw. I would get myself over there if I was you. He didn’t seem too happy to be getting you and your sister’s ponies ready on top of organising his own team.”

“Ok, thanks Kale!” Riarna shouted over her shoulder as she sprinted off across the yard. Kale shook his head and chuckled.

The girl slowed down as she emerged from the bustle of the main courtyard and turned down the well-worn path to her family’s own stables. She had been looking forward to this day all through the long winter and praying for success every night since her New Years Eve Wish three months ago. It was always risky to use the wish granted to mortals by Yili on New Years for anything this important. His power of luck was just as likely to go good as it was to go bad, but when you did strike lucky, you struck very lucky. She turned down another track to encounter a further scene of bustle and activity. Her father was standing in their midst, directing various people around him to different tasks.

“Ria! At last! Where’s Sryn and your mum?” her father strode over to her, running his hands through his hair, leaving tufts sticking up in every direction.

“They’re on their way. I was ready so mum sent me over to help you first.”

“I think I have everything covered at my end. You just need to start getting yourself ready. Your first class is in an hour’s time, which gives you a bit of time to make sure you’re tacked up and warmed in ready.”

“Ok. Thanks dad,” she said and began to walk off.

“And don’t be late!” he called after her as she disappeared through the stable door.

***

TRAGEDY AT CALLONIAN NATIONAL HORSE TRIALS

Today a tragedy marred the events at the highly popular Callonian National Horse Trials. A young girl was seriously injured after her pony tripped on the 6th fence and suffered a rotational fall. This was the first year that Junior riders had been allowed to compete within their own category, an idea pioneered by event organiser Willan Ruanthi. The pony in question, Quila Delaruse, belonged to Mr Ruanthi himself and was being ridden by his own daughter. The extent of the girls injuries are not yet certain and Mr Ruanthi did not have a comment to make.

***

“Quila?”

--- broken. We’ll have to ---

Pain. Pain. PAIN.

--- any chance?--- unlucky ---

“Where are you?”

--- how--- move him?---

Here. PAIN

--- Do you have--- the bow--- arrow---

“What’s happening?”

--- I’ll do it---

PAIN

--- shwpunc ---

“Quila?”

--- you take--- I’ll get ---

“Quila?!”

4 comments:

Jom said...

Well, what a mechanical goat?! I wasn't expecting it to go there.

Use of letters, diaries and newspaper articles is consistently ace.

Quoth the Raven said...

Well, that's what you get for trying to use pagan god powers as an unfair advantage, eh? Poor pony, mind, it didn't deserve that. Unless it tried to use some sort of pagan horse god's powers as an unfair advantage, I suppose...

Very good all round though. I look forward to meeting these characters properly.

Jester said...

I wasn't going to cut this chapter this short, but I got bored of writing young people- so I maimed her and killed her pony. I feel a bit mean now.

Out of curiosity (assuming you return to reread the comments) - which girl do you think it was that was injured in the competition? I'd like to know how obscure/ obvious the story is being at the moment.

Steffan said...

Short but excellent! It's always a bit weird when you start reading a story which begins years before the main plot, since it's hard to predict the shape of the story. So this is a great introduction to (what I assume will be) the main premise.

I had picked up on the ambiguity over which daughter was harmed, but I assumed it was Riarna. Wonder if I'm right.