Friday 10 June 2011

A Letter From The Post-Man

Hi, Caitlin!

Sorry I have to e-mail you – if you’re under 16, they don’t let you use the phones after 6 o’ clock. I have literally no idea why that is.

Anyway, I owe you the whole story, so here it is.

Last day of term, when I had to go to Mr Pearce’s office, there was this woman with him. Rebecca Glass, she’s called, and she’d been called in because of my “special needs”, so I obviously thought she was, like, Director of Weird Stumpy Arms at some hospital. She asked if I was happy at school, and whether I’d want to move. I wasn’t impressed, so I was like, “It’s just my left arm, dude”. She called me Elizabeth too, so I was sulky.

But it turns out it wasn’t another arm thing – it was the Other Thing. I didn’t like that – I’d only told you and mum about the Other Thing, and now Random Lady knew about it! And was talking about it in front of Mr Pearce!

But it turns out (these four words will be the beginning of a lot of paragraphs in this e-mail) that Mr Pearce has this understanding with the Secret Place I’m at, where he keeps an eye on people, and lets them know about people like me. Remember Phil Cray from the year above? He’s here too.

So, first thing’s first – my Awesome Super Powers. I’d kind-of worked it out, but Ms Glass explained the full story. I have the ability to manipulate powers. You know Finesse, the Scribbler? Her power’s similar, apparently. But the way mine works is, I can boost people’s powers. Any powers. Remember when I said I was thinking happy thoughts when you won the 1500 metres in the summer? Turns out those happy thoughts probably made you run faster. Sorry about that. But that’s how Mr Pearce noticed me.

Powers are like muscles, right. The more you use them, the better and stronger they get. And if you don’t use them, they weaken. So right now, I can nearly double people’s powers. But if I practice, they reckon it’ll be a lot more than that. And that’s cool for running and stuff, but it’s even better for other superheroes.

This place is, like, a school for teen superheroes. I assumed it was that government thing at first, but they’re not associated with the government at all – they’re an independent thing. It’s not really a training programme, even though some of us get trained – it’s more like Hogwarts for super-powered people. Ms Glass is my tutor, and there’s eight kids in the class. There are five other tutors, and most of their classes are bigger.

The headmaster is awesome and/or weird. No-one’s seen his face, and he dresses like a villain IMO. The first-years tell scary stories about him, like he’s really Mr Sintaro or something. It is lame. But he’s always been really nice when I’ve seen him – I think he comes to our class more than the others. We reckon he and Ms Glass have a Thing.

So, sorry about the vagueness of this message. There’s confidential stuff I can’t say, but it’s mostly boring. You know – the address and stuff.

Missing you loads. Get bitten by something radioactive so you can come too!

Love,
Beth

3 comments:

Quoth the Raven said...

Hooray! Yay for vignette! We should well write more of these. I massively love the mention of Mr Sintaro here, it's brilliant. And so far Beth seems an excellent character. Will there be a series? A series? A series? I would like a series.

Nice touch that simple power boosting can also improve normal skills, too. Oh, unless Caitlin has super-speed, but given that Beth is encouraging her to radioactive spiderbites that seems unlikely.

Steffan said...

A series, eh? Well, maybe there's a spin-off in it.

We will see Beth again.

Blossom said...

Love it! Could tell it was one of yours by the first sentence!!

Yep, Caitlin is really cool, love the subtle introductions of mystery (no phones after 6pm etc.) - look at you with your structure!

Cool power, and love that it's essentially a Scribblers spin-off!

Im also really enjoying how short it is (and not just because it won't make me late for work!). It's kind of like the Sarah Jane Adventures - short episodes, younger crowd etc.