Thursday 2 April 2009

Scribblers: Personal Pronoun

Scribblers
"Personal Pronoun"
by Steffan Alun

1 EXT. DINAS COMMUNITY HALL - Day. 1015.

A banner outside reads "INVISIBILITY SUPPORT GROUP".

CUT TO:

2 INT. COMMUNITY HALL - Day. 1015.

WRAITH is sat on one of a circle of chairs. All of the other chairs are seemingly empty.

WRAITH
Welcome to the support group. I'm Wraith of the Scribblers. I see we've got some new faces in today. Sarah, is it?

SARAH (OOV)
Hello.

WRAITH
Why don't you introduce yourself?

SARAH (OOV)
I'm Sarah. I'm fourteen years old, and I became invisible three weeks ago.

WRAITH
And have you become visible since?

SARAH (OOV)
No. I can't.

WRAITH
Thanks Sarah. Keith?

KEITH (OOV)
Hi. I'm Keith, twenty-two years old, and I can only be seen by members of my family.

WRAITH
It's more common than you might think. There are a lot of problems that come with invisibility, and a lot of them are psychological. Isn't that right, Allen?

ALLEN (OOV)
Until I was twenty-seven, I thought I could only be seen by other men. Then I met my wife - as I got to know her, she started being able to see me. Now, her mother and best friend can see me too.

WRAITH
There's nothing stopping the invisible from leading full lives. We just need a change of perspective. Now, we're going to try some exercises to get to know Sarah and Keith a bit better. Don't feel that you have to do anything today - the point is to build up your confidence, and -

Wraith's PDA beeps, and he checks it.

WRAITH
Damn. I've got to go. Allen - can you take over for today?

ALLEN (OOV)
No problem.

CUT TO:

3 INT. THE PIT - Day. 1025.

FINESSE, CHRONAL and AMITY are decorating the Pit with large prints of Wraith's artwork.
AMITY
Think he'll like this?

CHRONAL
No idea. He's a bit funny about his birthday.

FINESSE
The room looks better with his work up anyway. I think we should leave them up.

AMITY
Good idea. It's not just a birthday thing then.

CHRONAL
Has everyone got him something yet?

FINESSE
Lyric's in his shed working on his.

CHRONAL
So unfair. Lyric always gives the best gifts. He got me the Tenth Planet Part Four last

Christmas.

SHIFT enters.

SHIFT
Wraith's just sent me a message saying he's on his way back!

AMITY
We're not ready! I thought he'd be with his group until midday.

CHRONAL
He never leaves unless there's an emergency.

SHIFT
I'm sending a message back to ask why he's coming back so soon. I'll be subtle.

AMITY
Back-up plan - I'll go and intercept, and stop him coming in if I can.

Amity leaves as Shift sends her message.

CHRONAL
I've slowed time down for us, so we should have plenty of time anyway.

FINESSE
Let's get going, then.

She lifts another painting.

CUT TO:

4 INT. CAR PARK - Day. 1035.

WRAITH enters the derelict multi-storey car park, running -

- searching for something, anything -

- up ramps, among the cars.


WRAITH
Shift? Where are you?

His PDA beeps, and he checks it.

Close-up of the screen: I thought you had your support group thing today.


WRAITH
I did! You called me to the car park, you nutter.

Up ahead is an athletic female SUPERVILLAIN dressed in peach spandex.

SUPERVILLAIN
That was me. Sorry and all - impersonation lacks class, doesn't it?

She launches herself at Wraith, clenching her fist -

- but he vanishes from sight -

- and so does the Supervillain, replaced by LYRIC.


LYRIC
Mate, it's me.

WRAITH (OOV)
Where did you - Hang on, wasn't there someone else here just now?

LYRIC
Only me. There was no-one else.

Wraith fades into view.

WRAITH
That's so weird. Why did I hide from you?

LYRIC
Can't explain it.

Then Lyric is gone, and a split-second later, the Supervillain is back.

SUPERVILLAIN
Gotcha!

She grabs Wraith's wrists. He vanishes, but she still has him.

WRAITH (OOV)
It was you! Why did I forget?

SUPERVILLAIN
Oh, that's just my way. I'm quite forgettable when I want to be.

She reaches for a device similar to the Scribblers' PDAs, but chunkier and more industrial.

SUPERVILLAIN
Amity next, I think.

CUT TO:

5 EXT. THE SCRIBBLE PIT - Day. 1045.

AMITY is pacing outside the headquarters. LYRIC approaches, carrying a pair of curly yellow shoes, like Wraith's.

LYRIC
I can't get into the Pit. Chronal's forgotten to make his time bubble two-way.

AMITY
I'm a bit worried about Wraith. He said he was on his way back, but we haven't heard a word since.

LYRIC
Shouldn't take him this long to come back. He's probably called somewhere else on the way back.

AMITY
He never calls ahead, though. Only in emergencies.

LYRIC
That is weird.

Amity's PDA beeps.

AMITY
That's weird.

LYRIC
Is it him?

AMITY
No. It's you.

She shows Lyric the message.

LYRIC
"Hi, Amity - can you come to the car park at the industrial park? It's an adventure mission!"

AMITY
Why did you send me this?

LYRIC
I didn't.

AMITY
But you did.

LYRIC
Someone must have hacked into my PDA.

AMITY
No, they haven't. You sent this.

Lyric frowns, and puts his hand on Amity's shoulder.

LYRIC
I promise I didn't send this myself. You realise that, yes?

AMITY
But you definitely sent it.

Lyric checks the PDA again.

LYRIC
Something's wrong here. Forging a message is one thing, but you genuinely think this was me, even though it's impossible ... Aha!

He shows her the screen.

LYRIC
Read out who this message is from.

AMITY
"Lyric".

LYRIC
That's not what I see. I see an unknown number. I don't know what's going on with this message, but it's not just digital text. It's convincing you that I sent it, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

AMITY
I ... Right, I see that. And it's hard - I still sort-of think you sent it. It's like trying to wake up from a dream.

LYRIC
Okay, I'll make it simple. We have an enemy, and they're probably in the industrial estate car park.

AMITY
Let's get the others.

CUT TO:

6 INT. CAR PARK - Day. 1145.

The SUPERVILLAIN is stalking around the car park.

SUPERVILLAIN
Where have you gone now?

She's knocked to the ground from behind. WRAITH fades into view, his leg held out from kicking her.

Then, the Supervillain is gone -

- and Amity is there instead.


AMITY
Wraith, that really hurt! Why did you do that?

WRAITH
Amity, I'm sorry.

Amity kicks out at him -

- and he manages to dodge.


WRAITH
I didn't mean it! Sorry!

She punches him in the face.

WRAITH
Are you possessed or something?

She reaches out to punch again -

- and slows down to a snail's pace.


WRAITH
Chronal.

CHRONAL, AMITY and LYRIC race in.

WRAITH
How are there two Amities?

CHRONAL
That's not Amity. She's a terrorist - calls herself Pronoun. No more information on her.

Judging from her accent, she's Scottish.

Time is unfrozen, and the second Amity vanishes -

- replaced by Finesse.


FINESSE
Pronoun's gone. She got away.

CHRONAL
What? How did that happen?

WRAITH
She's not a shape-shifter. She can make you forget she was ever even here.

AMITY
She can fool every sense. When she looked like me, she FELT like me emotionally.

LYRIC
Logic's our only chance, and she can stop you thinking logically as well.

FINESSE
She can't have gotten past us ...

CHRONAL
Which means she's still here.

Finesse leaps towards Lyric, punching him in the mouth -

- he tries to speak, but Finesse keeps attacking -

- slowly, sluggishly, Amity steps forwards.


AMITY
Finesse ... you're ...

FINESSE
She's turned into Lyric.

AMITY
No, I mean -

Amity holds her hand up towards Finesse, who starts to shiver with fear.

AMITY
You're downstairs, with Shift. You can't be here.

Finesse vanishes -

- replaced by Kyle.


KYLE
Amity, stop - I'm so scared.

AMITY
Kyle, I'm so sorry!

WRAITH
Who's Kyle?

Chronal kicks Kyle's leg, and they begin to fight in close combat.

CHRONAL
Someone who can't be here. The others are keeping out all non-powered personnel.

LYRIC
I'm going to get them. We need our leader and strategist for this.

He runs off, and Kyle vanishes -

- replaced by Lyric.


LYRIC
She's getting away!

Chronal looks behind him -

- and is knocked out by Lyric.


CUT TO:

7 EXT. INDUSTRIAL PARK - Day. 1200.

FINESSE and SHIFT are stood outside the only exit, both typing away on their PDAs.

FINESSE
We give them five more minutes, then we go in.

SHIFT
I'm not looking forward to this. It's already tricky enough remembering who the villain is when I'm in animal form.

FINESSE
I'm worried she'll bypass my power sensors. I've never come across someone who could do that. If she's got brainy-fooly powers as well, I'm not sure it'll be easy to convince me she's the enemy.

LYRIC arrives.

LYRIC
You've got to come up. It's better when we have more people - we can back each other up when we're targetted.

FINESSE
Right.

Finesse grabs Lyric's hand and twists his arm behind his back.

FINESSE
But then, Pronoun wants to draw us all in one at a time. What if she's already defeated Lyric?

LYRIC
I'm genuine! Really. Ask me a question only I'd know.

SHIFT
No need. Finesse - Pronoun's powers eliminate suspicion. Amity was fooled even when presented with impossible circumstances.

Finesse pauses, then releases Lyric.

FINESSE
Good point. Right. Plan time.

CUT TO:

8 INT. CAR PARK - Day. 1225.

AMITY is fighting KAYLEIGH. WRAITH is helping CHRONAL.

WRAITH
I could do with a medic here. Which of you two is real again?

KAYLEIGH
Me, obviously.

AMITY
Prove it! Grow some flowers!

KAYLEIGH
In a car park? Not very bright, are you Evil-Amity?

AMITY
It's a car park. Offering stunning views of corporate flower boxes and grassy roundabouts. Which Non-Evil-Kayleigh would totally know, by the way.

FINESSE, SHIFT and LYRIC arrive, holding back.

FINESSE
Alright. Amity could be a copy, even though I can sense her powers. Chronal's coming round, but maybe Pronoun can fake unconsciousness. The real Wraith might be invisible. Kayleigh's obviously real.

LYRIC
So ...

SHIFT
So we target the only one we don't suspect.

Shift runs at Kayleigh -

- transforming into a jaguar -

- launches into the air -

- and Kayleigh vanishes, replaced by Finesse -

- who's knocked to the floor by the jaguar.


PRONOUN-FINESSE
Shift, it's me. I know I could be Pronoun, but so could the others.

FINESSE
Oh, she totally shouldn't have become the only person I know she can't be.

Finesse points a hand at Pronoun-Finesse -

- who vanishes -

- replaced by METAL MAN!

The jaguar growls -

- and starts clawing at Metal Man.


LYRIC
Oh, loving your work.

FINESSE
It's tricky. Even though I caused the change, that feels like the real Metal Man to me. Like my mind's trying to forget.

Lyric starts muttering, Ystrydebol forming in his hands -

- and Metal Man slowly blinks away -

- replaced by Chronal.


FINESSE
Two Chronals, both injured. Which one?

LYRIC
Which do you think?

FINESSE
Of course. I think it's the one with Wraith.

She holds out her hand, and the jaguar's Chronal becomes COOL BOX.

FINESSE
Alright, guys. Let's get him.

The Scribblers race towards Cool Box, who's too weak to struggle.

CUT TO:

9 INT. THE PIT - Day. 1645.

SHIFT and FINESSE are writing notes in short-hand.

FINESSE
Weaknesses completed.

SHIFT
Great. Haven't got much to go on for the allies and affiliations categories.

FINESSE
Hopefully, we won't need them.

CHRONAL enters.

CHRONAL
Wraith and Amity are on their way back. They managed to get Pronoun a place in the Super-Prison. Trained guards who know all about her powers.

FINESSE
I do worry. She could even fool technology. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to keep her locked up.

LYRIC rushes in, carrying a present.

LYRIC
Okay, guys - they're coming.

The four of them gather in the middle of the room.

AMITY leads WRAITH into the room.


SCRIBBLERS
Surprise!

WRAITH
You've put up my stuff! Where did you get these prints?

AMITY
Shift knew a guy who knows a guy who has a dog who knows a kid ... I think there was a giraffe at one point.

LYRIC
Oh, here's your present.

He hands Wraith the gift.

CHRONAL
Dammit, Lyric, you know you're not allowed to go first. Now my gift will look like some cotton buds in comparison.

Waith opens the gift - a pair of shoes identical to his own.

WRAITH
Awesome. My old ones were wearing a bit thin.

LYRIC
Not just that. They're hover-boots!

WRAITH
Yay!

6 comments:

Quoth the Raven said...

GOD DAMN IT LYRIC, WE WILL HAVE WORDS ABOUT THIS. Although in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have bought him some actual cotton buds. Even if I'd gone first they'd have looked like cotton buds.

I love this story! For some reason I giggled like a loon at 'Kayleigh's real, obviously.' And "Argh! I said I was sorry! What, are you possessed or something?" Very funny. Oh! Oh, and "I think there was a giraffe at one point." Supurb!

But so much love for defeat of villain! Firstly, Pronoun's awesome anyway, but the idea of Finesse morphing her into a bad guy and setting animal-Shift-who-will-simply-attack on her is genius. And Finesse attacking Lyric when he first appears is brilliant. I was actually thinking it might just be Pronoun as I read it; that was exactly what I'd have done.

And hooray for Evil Kayleigh and Amity banter! Loved it.

Quoth the Raven said...

Although somehow, in the excitement of that comment, I completely forgot to mention WTF WRAITH CAN HOVER NOW ZOMG. That is made of win and kittens.

Blossom said...

Yep, brilliant! :-) Loved it, my favourite kind of incredibly complicated-to-read-in-script form! Love the concept of the villain, and a big fan of a villain called "Pronoun" - perfect, she is I, she, he, perhaps even 'they'... Love it!!!

Great dialogue, great solidarity witht eh Scribblers, of course! Lovely! Can't wait for the enxt one.

I like the way Finesse really does read as the leader - she does come up with the best plans, she's very good at working out how to use her team's capabilities etc. and youknow ultimately it will be her who comes up with the plan. I think that's important in a team. Also, love the domestics with Lyric!

Plus, Wraith can now fly and turn invisible! That is pretty fucking awesome! Also, loved Chronal's last birthday present from Lyric! Is that a missing episode? Must be! :-)

Jom said...

So using those boots in mine. Yoink!

I do like the idea of exploration of powers. Seems like we're strewtching our musles with allowing the characters to do new things.

Exciting times. Brillo Pads.

Jester said...

That was brilliant and my favourite villain to date. Pronoun is made of win.

The entire fight sequence was excellent. I enjoyed immensely.

WiggZ said...

Thankyou so much. Hover boots would be awesome.