Thursday 3 September 2009

Ye olde drawing

Here's an old drawing I did back when I was a little kiddie. Using Flash (an animation and interactive website creation program) to draw things was the killer app for me. One of the drawings was this: The idea behind it came from an old factory in Gowerton being demolished to make way for some poncy flats that look like what Disney would love all houses to look like. I found this drawing on my DeviantFart account along with some other embarrassments. I thought I may as well update the drawing seeings I had nothing better to do with my time other than rub my face against walls with interesting textures.



Notice how the wonky walkway at the front makes everything else look wonky. There's so much wrong with this but the original was wonky too so I guess you could call it "character".

4 comments:

Quoth the Raven said...

Hey, I love these! Don't knock them so! Honestly, people are always going to be overly harsh on their own younger self's work, but the mood and tone of these are absolutely supurb, incredibly atmospheric and, actually, incredibly full of character, even though you sniff at the word! Your illustrations are generally characterised that way, I find; the mood is always supurb, the composition is always interesting, the tone is never sterile and I always love the balance of light and dark.

It makes me think of a funky dystopian version of that Walkers crisps factory in Fforestfach, actually. It just needs one of your brilliant recurring lamp posts.

Jom said...

I particularly like the use of the word poncy to describe a grim old factoire d'eath. It'd be interesting to see how Disney would design factories...

Steffan said...

Wow, love the idea of updating older work. I really liked the image anyway, but the redesign really captured my imagination. Good work.

Jester said...

This is a brilliant idea- to take an old piece of work and update it. I liked the original picture anyway- it reminded me of Hitchcock style horror- but I think the idea comes across far more clearly in the second image. It's also a very skillful and atmospheric picture. I love the original inspiration and think you could do a range of images on a similar theme if you wanted. It makes me think of lots of interesting ideas about transitions, time, shadowing of past/future, pretensiousness/ morality behind redevelopments. Good work.