Saturday 27 October 2007

New Byllk #1: The First Night

I followed him, though I didn't know why. He'd lied to me, but I found myself forgiving him. I didn't know his reasons, but I couldn't help but assume that I would accept them. He left, and so did I. I felt I owed him more than I owed anyone else. More than my friends? Perhaps. More than my family? To tell the truth, I hadn't thought of my family at all. I just followed. I trusted him. I still do.

-10001-

In the films, action is neat and straightforward. Everyone knows what to do. It's streamlined, and often elegant. In my experience – limited as it is – "action" is a confusing knot of strangers, nobody knowing what to expect, and nobody knowing what to do. We escaped far more easily than I'd expected. But then, we also had a passenger, which I had not expected. I assumed we would be chased, but I had no idea what was happening outside of this self-contained bubble. The spaceship.

-10001-

We land in an enormous field. I didn't realise anywhere in the world had such large areas of grassland left, let alone in the UK. I don't know where we are, and neither does Trenavass. He doesn't know much of Earth geography. Our passenger, we learn, is an interpretor, but his English is far from perfect. His name is Garnoff, and he's terrified. He'd come because he'd always wished to visit Earth, but now he's frightened – Trenavass was his prince, and he's stuck with him in this field for the time being. Where else could he go? I try to imagine how I'd feel, trapped on an alien world with Prince William or Harry.

-10001-

One hour later, and I feel myself coming to my senses. Trenavass and Garnoff have been speaking hurriedly in their own language. It's difficult to know what they're talking about, but Garnoff seems frightened still, and Trenavass seems determined. Neither seems to be angry, which I take to be a good sign. Left on my own, I check my phone. Plenty of text messages and missed calls, mostly from my housemates, Greg and Jeremy. None from Mel. And none from my family yet. What will I tell them?

-10001-

"Laoren?"

"Hmm?"

Laoren opened her eyes. She must have fallen asleep in the ship. Trenavass had taken off his helmet, revealing his light-blue skin and flat nose.

"The ship's invisibility drivers are hiding this entire area," he said. "Doesn't look like people come here too often, so we shouldn't be disturbed."

"How's Garnoff taking things?"

"We're still discussing things," said Trenavass. "He's scared of the future, but not of us. For the time being, he's not going to be difficult. But we still need to come to an understanding."

"What's the plan?" asked Laoren. "I mean, I can't stay here forever. I have friends, family ..."

"I've got some ideas," said Trenavass. "But it wasn't fair for me to lie to you before, and to exclude you from decisions. I shall keep you informed of my own intentions, and it'll be entirely up to you whether you wish to help me further." His nostril eyelids blinked. "If you want to leave now, I've managed to secure a map of the area. There's a train station nearby."

Laoren smiled.

"That's reassuring." She frowned. "And I have to consider that. Won't decide tonight, but eventually, I should get back to the others." She checked her phone, and was surprised to see that it was only eight o' clock. "Still time to phone the others. Do you mind?"

"Not at all," said Trenavass. "But ... it might be best for you to leave this area. Phone signals might disrupt the invisibility field.

-10001-

Laoren didn't reach the edge of the grassland. Because suddenly, she spotted someone – certainly not an alien.

She ran towards the figure, but the damage was already done.

"What on earth ...?" he said

"Sorry, sir ..." started Laoren.

"What are the odds?" the man was saying. "Everyone going mad over these aliens, and I end up finding them." He looked at Laoren. "You look human. Suppose it's a good shape."

"I'm human," said Laoren, a touch reproachful.

The man then removed something from his pocket; a wand-shaped device with two buttons on the side. He pointed it at Laoren, and clicked a button.

"Suppose some good's come of this, then! One more ruled out."

2 comments:

Quoth the Raven said...

Hmmm. Your love for Doctor Who is, methinks, clouding your character's judgement a bit. I in no way buy the idea that Laoren would say she trusted Trenavass so much that she'd go jet-setting off with him without thought for friends and family after he'd majorly lied to her. It feels more like he's controlling her mind in a freaky mind-rapist kind of way. Or she's such a spaz she deserves alien inflicted death.

Geoff cameoed, though! Huzzah! Where is this massive field, anyway?

Steffan said...

Laoren is in a very strange place at the moment. Trenavasss's behaviour is, in general, something that's very alien to her. She forgives him a lot - too much - because, hey, he's a cool alien, and he both likes and trusts her. That's turned her head quite a bit.

It's worth bearing in mind that she's still only known him five days. This is still a relationship based on lies, but it's also a remarkably short one. She's still thinking in the short term, and I hope to explore the long term effects of his behaviour (and, indeed, hers) in due course.